Friday, September 18, 2009

Thats Right..I do more work than a man!!!

A tragic event happened in the year of 2007. Hurricane Katrina crashed through the south east coast of our nation. I was fortunate enough to have the chance to drive down there with a church group and help the victims that lost their homes. We helped many families, but one stands out the most. A time that I feel I was at my best is when fixing up a shed for an amazing woman and her family.
I was working with three other girls and one adult. We were fixing the roof of the shed by outselves. We had to put up wood rafters and large tin sheets. Our teacher did not do a whole lot other than hand us girls the tin or wood rafters. We were the ones on the roof nailing everything on. Next to the shed was the families FEMA trailer that was still not up and working. Since the trailer had come out, the workers had not come back to hook up the running water or anything.
The woman we were helping was pretty upset about this and decided to call the FEMA people. She told them that she was upset how four teenage girls were taking time out of their day to fix her shed but they hace not been there to hook up her utilities in weeks. Of course the FEMA people had to show up now. Instead of actually doing their work though, they decided to sit and watch us work. We as teenage girls doing the work of guys were quite amused!
I felt like this was my best moment because I was helping others. I was doing something that was completely unselfish and made a difference. It was, also, quite amuzing how we out did the FEMA guys! I will try to put this into affect with my first semester by doing my best in all the work that I do. I always try to make my work better by seeing what other people do. I want to take the idea of helping other people and put it into my work, also. All in all, I feel that this was the best of my best!

11 comments:

  1. Sarah that must have been the most amazing feeling to be able to help someone like that. People don't know the feeling you can get from helping someone like that, and obviously the FEMA guys didn't have any compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I love that you are a strong and determined woman! haha I'm sure that woman appreciated every second of your help, and that is the greatest satisfaction of all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah
    First of all that is really great of you to help out the Katrina victoms, and then on top of that you showed FEMA people what it means to actually care about people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lokenvitz!! I'm pretty sure you just copy and pasted my blog lol! but if not good work..I know what its like to be in that situation and help out and it as the BEST feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great that you were able to help someone affected by hurricane katrina.It's even better that you were able to do more work then FEMA workers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great that you took an opportunity to help people who obviously need a lot help. Hopefully, you continue what you have done down there by helping people around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pretty awesome that you were able to go down there and help people, and its always a good day when a girl is able to do that work that so many think of as "a mans job" way to go

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome that you contributed your time and effort into helping people who really need it. You are one of the few.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its awesome that you could go down and help the hurricane victims. The satisfaction you get from helping people in need is one of the best feelings you can feel. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your an awesome person Sarah, you helping the katrina victims must have been a very satisfin feeling, great job

    ReplyDelete
  11. I might have had a few choice words for those guys myself, lol. Way to get after it, Sarah.

    Heath

    ReplyDelete